For those who follow me on INSTAGRAM, you know I went to Mexico for 6 weeks. For the others, no worries, here is the article summarizing my trip to Riviera Maya, Mexico.
In short, in this article, I will share with you some practical tips for your trip to Mexico, what I did in cities, resorts,beaches, food addresses and my opinion on the entire trip. As a result, I will also share with you things that I did not have time to do that are worth seeing.
Are you ready? Immediate takeoff for Mexico!
- Pesos currency: when you arrive, you can change money at the airport. In this case I recommend you to do it in the cities because the rate is more interesting.
- Rent a car: I made this choice to be totally autonomous. You have rental agencies at the airport (in Cancun). For this purpose, I advise you to make a reservation from your country and to print the price showed. Indeed, the rental companies will quickly try to make you pay more.
- Leave tips: this practice is very common in Mexico. Leave 10% (minimum) of the amount in tips to the gas station attendant, the servers, the hotel masters who take your luggage up to you, etc…
- Bring sunscreen: you are at the level of the Caribbean Sea so I recommend you the index 50 for your first exposures.
- Everything is paying: the parking of a park, the entrance of a cenote, the access to a beach, etc…
- The water is not drinkable: you will find drinkable water to buy everywhere but I do not recommend tap water.
- Anti-mosquito: it is better to be careful and not to catch the dengue, for example.
- The roads: generally the roads are in good condition and the destinations are well showed.
Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya
After 11 hour’s flight, I landed in Cancun and then took the road to Playa Del Carmen (about 1h30). After few days I made a trip to Isla Mujeres from Cancun.
First stop was at the Kika Studios. Of course, I discovered the apartments on Instagram.
Kika Suite Deluxe is in a beautiful area of Playa del Carmen, in an excellent location surrounded by residential and commercial areas, just 5 minutes from 5th Avenue and 10 minutes walk from the beach.
They furnished all suites with elegance and luxury and feature a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need for cooking and a private bathroom with shower. They equipped the rooms with air conditioning, flat screen TV with cable channels, closet, safe, Wi-Fi internet. Lastly, Kika Suite has a large terrace where you can enjoy the pool, hammocks, chairs with tables and lounge area.
In fact, I really enjoyed the Kika Studios for 7 days. I took an advantage of it to chill all day and to make the visit of a Playa del Carmen beaches.
They equip its spacious suites with air conditioning, minibar, free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, safe and private bathroom with showers; some of them have a semi-private balcony or terrace, their family rooms are for a maximum of 6 people.
In the complex, you will also find a first-class spa. Its gastronomic proposal has several international a la carte restaurants, Mexican cuisine, one handcrafted buffet style; plus barbecue on the beach, fun bars and lounge open 24 hours a day, outdoor pool and water park for children. Moreover, you can also request transfer service from the airport.
- ZARAPE – MEXICAN CUISINE,
- OFF THE HOOK – SUSHI,
- JACK’S LANDING – BAR,
- BELLA – ITALIAN CUISINE
- IPANEMA – GRILLED SPECIALTIES
- VENTANAS – INTERNATIONAL CUISINE
Riviera Maya beaches
Diving is almost mandatory: this part of the Yucatan. In fact, is characterized by a wonderful seascape and is home to one of the largest coral reefs in the world, a true mirage for diving enthusiasts.
Close to the heart of the nightlife, Punta Esmeralda beach is a little blue treasure surrounded by a green landscape. It is not only the exuberant vegetation that gives it its name but also another “detail”: the fresh waters of the cenote that emerge on the beach, pouring directly into the sea.
This peculiarity makes the small but charming bay a fantastic place to cool off in the warm, shallow waters shaded by palm trees. Its tones are mesmerizing and make the cove well protected from chaos a true gem. Also known simply as “La Esmeralda”, the beach is free and can be enjoyed in complete freedom: swimming, throwing the frisbee or enjoying a picnic overlooking the sea. Punta Esmeralda beach is also wonderful to walk around and admire the sunset. Don’t forget to visit Xcaret Park located between Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
Playa de Mamitas
One of the most famous places in Playa del Carmen is Playa de Mamitas, full of beach clubs where you can stay late. The beach attracts an international and quite exclusive clientele. Generally, it’s the perfect place to have fun and make new friends. Fun never ends: in all seasons, you can dance on the beach and go crazy in the clubs to the rhythm of electronic music. Famous DJs and artists animate the nights. The energy of the night is contagious. You only need to rent a deckchair and sunbathe, immersed in the elegant atmosphere of Mamitas beach.
Did you know….
When you buy something after clicking on one of my links, I get a small commission. However, you continue to pay the same amount!
Explore Mexico through other themes: