Have you ever considered how beautiful Amsterdam would appear during the autumn season? Most of the outdoor cafes and restaurants are already open, and so are countless opportunities for sports activities, cultural events, and amusement parks.
If you’re wondering what to do in Amsterdam in autumn, then you’ve come to the right place. I’ll tell you all about the best things to do!
If you're planning a trip to Amsterdam, here are five reasons why you should consider visiting during the autumn season!
- The cooler temperatures are perfect for exploring the city
- The city comes alive during autumn season with its annual festivals.
- The leaves changing color create a picturesque backdrop
- There are plenty of cozy cafes to relax in with a hot drink or have a fun date
- You’ll be able to enjoy the city without having to deal with crowds and save money.
- 1 The cooler temperatures are perfect for exploring the city
- 2 There are plenty of cozy cafes to relax in with a hot drink
- 3 Amsterdam is relatively quiet during autumn, making it the perfect time to visit
The cooler temperatures are perfect for exploring the city
Autumn season is one of the best times to visit Amsterdam because the weather is milder than in spring and summer, which means less crowds and lower prices. There are fewer tourists, too, making it easier to find a room without paying exorbitant rates. And the city is at its prettiest in the fall, thanks to the changing colors of the leaves.
The weather in October and November in Amsterdam is relatively simple: it can be very sunny as well as very cold! These are not necessarily the rainiest months of the year, but temperatures easily drop below 10 degrees. It is therefore necessary to be prepared for any eventuality by packing warm clothes in your suitcase.
The city comes alive during autumn season with its annual festivals
As the leaves begin to change color and the air gets cooler, Amsterdam comes alive with a host of annual festivals. From music and dance to food and film, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
One of the most popular festivals is the Amsterdam Dance Event, which attracts thousands of electronic music fans from all over the world. Other popular festivals include the Holland Festival, which is a celebration of Dutch culture, and the Amsterdam Light Festival, which features light installations and performances from Dutch and international artists.
So if you’re looking for a reason to visit Amsterdam this autumn, be sure to check out the list of the top festivals taking place in the city. You’re sure to have a blast exploring all that Amsterdam has to offer during this magical season.
The leaves changing color create a picturesque backdrop
If you’re looking for things to do in Amsterdam during autumn season, you won’t be disappointed. There are plenty of great activities to enjoy in the city during this time of year.
One of the best things to do in Amsterdam during autumn is to take a stroll through the Vondelpark. The leaves are turning yellow and red, and the air is crisp and fresh. It’s a great time to appreciate the natural beauty of the city.
Another great activity is to discover the city’s farmers’ markets. This is the time of year when the markets are overflowing with seasonal produce, so it’s the perfect time to stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables.
For an even more authentic version, you can stroll through the streets of the Oud Zuid district, near the Vondelpark. The houses are resplendent with the autumn colors of their gardens and porches with trees.
Stroll through the Vondelpark in Amsterdam
This iconic city park is decked out in beautiful colors during the fall season. Finally, don’t hesitate to stop at one of the many cafes in the Overtoom or Oud Zuid neighborhoods around it to enjoy a delicious Chai Latte, the typical autumn drink.
If you have time or prefer less busy places outside the city center, you should go to the Amsterdamse Bos. This large wood, literally the “Amsterdam wood”, is located southwest of Amsterdam’s city center. It is easy to get there by bike or by streetcar. The place is very large and very relaxing, surely one of our favorite places for a walk in the fall.
Visit a museum at night during Museumnacht!
One of the best things to do in Amsterdam during the autumn season is to visit a museum at night during Museumnacht. This event takes place on the first Saturday of October and features over 50 museums and 30 exhibitions.
You can purchase a ticket that gives you access to all of the participating museums, and there are also special programs and events happening at each one. It’s a great way to experience the city’s culture and history, and you’ll get to see some of Amsterdam’s most famous museums.
There are plenty of cozy cafes to relax in with a hot drink
As the leaves start to change color and the air becomes crisp, fall is the perfect time to enjoy a hot drink in a cozy cafe. Amsterdam has no shortage of great cafes to choose from, so I’ve put together a list of my favorites for you to enjoy this autumn.
- Cafe De Duivel: This charming cafe is located in the heart of Amsterdam’s historic center. The perfect place to people watch, Cafe De Duivel offers a wide selection of hot drinks and homemade pastries.
- Cafe Papeneiland: This cafe is known for its traditional Dutch breakfast, but their hot drinks are also worth trying. Papeneiland is located in a picturesque canal house and has a cozy atmosphere that’s perfect for chilly days.
- Café George – This cafe has a cozy fireplace that makes it perfect for chilly days.
- Koffiehuis van den Volkskeuken – This cafe is located in an old windmill, making it very cozy and charming.
You’ll be able to enjoy the city without having to deal with crowds and save money
If you love Amsterdam but hate crowds, autumn is the perfect time to visit. The weather is still pleasant and you’ll be able to enjoy all the city has to offer without the throngs of tourists.
Plus, autumn is a shoulder season so you’ll be able to find hotel deals and save money on travel. So if you’re looking for a time to travel to Amsterdam that is both enjoyable and budget-friendly, autumn is the perfect time to go.
Of course, any time you travel, there are bound to be some expenses. But if you plan ahead, you can save money on your trip to Amsterdam. Here are a few tips:
- book your hotel room in advance
- purchase a travel pass for public transportation
- take advantage of free activities, like walking tours and canal cruises
Amsterdam is relatively quiet during autumn, making it the perfect time to visit
What do you love about autumn? The colors of the leaves, the cool breeze, or the cozy feeling of being indoors? Whatever it is, autumn is a great time to enjoy all that Amsterdam has to offer. Here are some ideas of things to do in the city during this season.
- Visit an outdoor market: Amsterdam is home to many outdoor markets, and they’re especially lovely in autumn. Wander through the stalls, enjoy the autumn colors, and try some seasonal food.
- Go for a walk or bike ride: Amsterdam is a beautiful city, and autumn is a great time to explore it. Go for a walk or bike ride and take in the sights and sounds of the season.
- Visit a museum: Amsterdam is home to many world-famous museums, and they’re especially enjoyable in the cooler months.
- Take a canal cruise. Amsterdam is known for its canals, and there’s no better way to see them than from the water.
Did you know….
When you buy something after clicking on one of my links, I get a small commission. However, you continue to pay the same amount!